Monday, February 18, 2008

Welcome Back

It's been quite some time since my last post. All of my writing efforts have gone toward producing the first draft of my Ph.D. dissertation, The Effects of Static Electric Potentials on Single Electrons and Excitons in Carbon Nanotubes: A Theoretical Study. I'm just about done --- with the first draft. I've got a 200 page monster with no figures and incomplete references that I've got to hammer into shape by the middle of May, but it's a lot better than staring at a blank page!

Although I haven't posted anything recently, I've been reading a lot. Going over background materials for my dissertation reminded me of how fascinating semiconductor physics, quantum field theory, and excitons are! I've had some time for deviations from my primary research focus as well. My pile of interesting papers continues to grow, plus I've started reading some textbooks on econophysics and nonlinear dynamics. Fascinating stuff.

Hopefully I'll get back in the habit of posting regularly. I hope to make the blog more friendly to others too. It will still primarily focus on interesting papers I've read (I'm still worried that once they go into my filing cabinet, I may never be able to find them again...), but I'd like to make the blog into more of a journal than a database. Maybe we can get a little dialog going on some topics. Maybe I can sharpen my skills at explaining complicated things in simple terms. Maybe I'll be so busy finishing my dissertation and finding a job that I won't have time for anything else. Who knows?

Check back in from time to time to see what's new. And drop me an e-mail if you like.


Jesse

No comments: